Resisting the pull of cynicism since 1969.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

World Stupidity Awards redux

The results of this year's World Stupidity Awards have been announced, and the stupidest statement of the year is deemed to be the following quote from George W. Bush: "They never stop thinking of ways of harming America, and neither do we." Unfortunately, the quote was a little bit off; the original blunder was actually: "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." In celebration of this well-deserved award, then, here are some of my other favourite Bush speakos.

From the "WTF?" files:

  • "I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein."
  • "I wish I wasn't the war president. Who in the heck wants to be a war president? I don't."
  • "Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."
  • "I have a record in office, as well. And all Americans have seen that record. September the 4th, 2001, I stood in the ruins of the Twin Towers. It's a day I will never forget."
  • "You're working hard to put food on your family."
  • "I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace."
From the "too close to the truth for comfort" files:
  • "I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."
  • In response to a question about Iraqi insurgents attacking U.S. forces: "My answer is bring them on."
  • "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."
  • "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it."
  • "See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."
On the other hand, while the U.S. was up for this year's World Stupidity Award for "dumbest government," it didn't win. Guess who did?

No comments: